Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What this blog is about

Ultimately this blog is about me trying to write as much as possible.  What I write will more or less fall into these categories.

1.  Philosophy and dissertation related stuff.  
Nothing that I write here will presuppose any background knowledge in philosophy.  My goal is to be able to communicate my own research in a manner that is accessible without overly distorting or caricaturing the content.  Click here for an overview of what my dissertation is about.

2.  Culture and technology
I think a lot about culture, and the way that technology affects culture, and vice versa.  A lot of what I post here will be my reflections on this relationship.  Click here before you start reading the other stuff on culture and technology.

3.  Pedagogy
I like to teach.  I like to think that I'm good at it, but I'm certainly nowhere near as good as I should be.  Sometimes I'll post on my thoughts on teaching and how I could be better at it.

4.  Thoughts on stuff that I read.
A lot of my posts will be links to interesting things that I come across online.  Every now and then I'll post reflections on the books that I read.

5.  Personal stuff
This blog will not be a "diary" as the word is normally understood.  However, once in a blue moon I might post thoughts and reflections on topics of a more personal nature.  This is only place on the internet where I feel that I can safely write these things.

If you're reading this blog, you probably know me in person.  If you do know me, or even if you don't, please help me by providing as many questions, comments, or objections as you can.  This will provide me with further incentive to write.  I promise that I will try to answer every serious comment that I receive.

Also, if you're curious, the name of this blog is "Gnothi Seauton," which is translated "Know Thyself."  The phrase is inscribed in the Temple of Apollos at Delphi.


No comments:

Post a Comment