Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My EDC Photo

"EDC" stands for "Every Day Carry."  Here's my photo.




I'll go clockwise starting from my bag.

1. Fossil Emerson Messenger Bag
I found this at the mall and it was tagged at $148.  The bag was on sale for a 30% discount, so that brought the price down to about $100 before tax.  I find out later that the bag was mis-tagged and that the real price was $250.  I don't know if there's a word for the opposite of buyer's regret, but that most certainly applies in this case.  Love this bag.

Aside from what's on the table, what I keep in my bag includes books that are not available in Kindle format, pens, teaching paperwork, and occasionally my laptop.  I don't generally carry my laptop unless I intend on writing somewhere other than home.

2. Sony MDR-NC200D Noise Cancelling Headphones
If I'm out and about and I want to read and/or write, these headphones are a must.  I get easily distracted by the music and conversations around me.

3. Dry Erase Markers
Classrooms never seem to have dry erase markers that work, so I carry some with me just in case.

4. Keys
House keys, car keys, and a keychain bottle opener.

5. Saddleback Leather Bifold Wallet
I used to have a trifold wallet filled with all kinds of frequent customer cards, but decided to pare everything down to a slimmer bifold.  I only carry incidental cash and three cards with me: driver's license, SU ID, and debit card. 

6. Amazon Kindle
Carrying one e-book is clearly better than lugging around a bunch of books.  The electronic ink is nice and easy on the eyes, but it can be a pain in the ass since coffee shops insist on having dim lighting.

The version I have is a bit older.  I'll upgrade when e-books can allow you to flip through pages very quickly.

7. (Not Pictured)  Apple iPhone 4
The beautiful thing about having a Kindle and a smartphone is that I always have access to information.  That means that I can take advantage of time that would normally be wasted.  I can read while waiting for an appointment, or waiting in line, or in between classes.  With a smartphone, I can do this without carrying anything else.  I have Kindle, Dropbox, and Feedly on my phone, so I have access to all of my books, journal articles, and RSS feed. 

I'm currently due for an upgrade, but I haven't decided if I want to stick with Apple or switch to an Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment